Today marks two years since the last federal election and if the current parliamentary cycle runs full term, the Australian people can vote for a better way in about a year.
I have spent the last year living in Launceston as a fulltime candidate for the seat of Bass, hearing from Northern Tasmanians about their hopes and aspirations for the future. As an aspiring local member I have been fortunate enough to receive five visits from Tony Abbott and eleven of his team during this time, briefing them on the issues of most importance to our community. These conversations have underpinned the development of plans and policies to give Tassie and our country renewed hope, to build a stronger economy, and to enable more effective government that helps people get ahead.
The Coalition has announced its commitment to a number of Tasmanian policy initiatives, including my pledge with Greg Hunt to help restore the health of the Tamar River. The Coalition has released over forty initiatives since the last election, which are part of our plan to strengthen Australia. They are designed to build a stronger economy, ease cost of living pressures on families, improve infrastructure, help build stronger communities, secure our borders, and deliver a cleaner environment. We will:
- free up small business and households by scrapping the Carbon Tax. It will be the first priority of a new Coalition government and we have a plan to implement it immediately following the next election;
- make our country even stronger and protect our children’s future by ending the waste and cutting the debt;
- make our economy more productive by cutting $1 billion a year in red tape to help small business;
- help families meet the challenges of balancing work and family – starting with an effective paid parental leave scheme and better access to affordable and flexible childcare;
- give Australians living with disability a fair go by supporting a National Disability Insurance Scheme;
- tend and nurture our natural environment as never before with a 15,000 strong Green Army;
- secure our borders and introduce proven policies that work;
- promote more Australian schools teaching foreign languages and encourage more young people to study overseas.
I stand ready and the Coalition stands ready with plans and policies that offer renewed hope, reward and opportunity for our country.